Post-Doctoral Research Associate in Computational Genomics
The Department of Entomology and Plant Pathology, University of Tennessee Institute of Agriculture is seeking to fill a postdoctoral level position in computational plant genomics. The applicant will participate in a USDA-funded project for the bioinformatic analysis of genomic data from a number of woody ornamental species. The project will utilize deep DNA and RNA sequencing data and other genomic tools to develop new genomic resources (reference genomes and transcriptomes), identify SNP variants in sampled populations, and assess genotype to phenotype relationships for important traits. While collaborating on a number of other projects, this postdoctoral position will lead a project to bring to completion a high-quality assembly and annotation for redbud tree (Cercis canadensis), identify SNPs from next generation sequencing of individuals in a breeding population, and perform genotype to phenotype trait analysis. This work will encompass activities such as writing software pipelines for processing sequence data, performing statistical tests, using high performance Linux-based computational systems, interpreting analysis results for biological meaning, reporting to a diverse working team and writing scholarly publications. The successful applicant will be exposed to interdisciplinary, cutting edge research in the arena of plant genomics and bioinformatics and will have the opportunity to perform high-impact research, present at international academic conferences, lead publication of their research, and expand their computational and genomic skillset.
The option for entirely remote work is available, or a number of different work sites are available. Funding is available for at least one year with the option for additional years.
• PhD in genomics, bioinformatics, computer science and/or the life sciences.
• Proficient in a Linux operating system environment with minimal systems support.
• Demonstrated experience in R, Python and/or Perl scripting.
• Excellent communication and problem-solving skills.
• Ability to interact with scientists from diverse disciplines and backgrounds.
• Ability to work independently, prioritize and manage a variety of tasks, and shift priorities rapidly.
• Work experience in the field of bioinformatics that has led to proficiency with genomic and/or transcriptomic next generation sequencing.
• Experience performing statistical analysis for large genomic data sets using a language such as R or python.
• Experience with deploying and/or running software on high performance computational systems.
• Experience with writing scripts or software to perform data analysis.
• Demonstrated ability to author high-quality peer-reviewed scientific manuscripts.
Regular full-time position with benefits
Location: The University of Tennessee, Knoxville Institute of Agriculture, AgResearch
Required documents to apply: CV, transcripts, 2 professional references (upload as one PDF or DOC file)
Job Research Professional
Primary Location US-Tennessee-Knoxville
Organization Entomology & Plant Path - Res
Campus/Institute Institute of Agriculture
Job Posting Sep 7, 2020, 12:31:28 PM